Thursday, 19 June 2014

Scientific prowess.

So, this summer marks the end of my second year at university studying biochemistry. It has been a rollercoaster, I love biochemistry, but at times, it doesn't love me that much. I only have 1 year left, of my course which I actually find quite sad, but I have an 15 month break til I have to face it ( 3 months of holidays and then 12 months of an industrial placement with a major pharmaceutical company) again. But that isn't what this post is about. It's about methods to boost your scientific prowess.


As a 'baby' scientist, I am always told that at this time of my life experience is EVERYTHING! Which is true, as learning something in theory is completely different to actually being hands on and dealing with the practical element. Consequently, there is always a strive to gain this hallowed experience, to try stand out from the BSc crowd. I would say that my university is very good at helping our faculty cohort to attain industrial year placements and summer internships, and so I know at least 20 people, who are currently on a internship or preparing for a placement, which will truly help to boost their CV. Obviously as I said it's great to do a placement, but it's not essential especially if research is not the field which you intend on entering.


I've had this blog for almost 2 years tomorrow, and it was mainly to share my enthusiasm and interest in science with the world, to make it more tangible for those who maybe find it hard to understand, or just plain boring, and I feel I may be getting there slowly but surely. The Science Tree, has been a great way to prove to employers that I am a biochemist, but I am also interested in a wider area other than just biochemistry. It's certainly (I think) helped me to stand out from other candidates...


....butI think the most important thing is to enjoy what you do, and I do!!! I love my course, my uni, but most importantly I love The Science Tree, and will keep on posting for eons to come! (Hope you guys are ready for that!)


Explorer Fact: the science tree is 2 tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment