Friday, 25 April 2014

Is it fate?

Some people know instantly what career they want to pursue from the time they can speak, others know in primary school, and then there's the rest of us plundering our way through adult life with a rough idea of what area we want to excel in.

I didn't always know that I wanted to be a scientist or a biochemist. I went through phases of wanting to be a vet, a doctor and everything in-between but it was when I stumbled upon the fascination of Biochemistry during a year 12 biology lesson on mitosis. Consequently, here I am 2 years into a biochemical degree and loving every single minute of it (even the minutes spent learning the chemical structures and functions of obscure compounds).

Some may say it's fate....but I share my birthday with DNA day! 

It is a day which is commemorated as the day that Crick, Watson and Franklin published their first findings about the structure of DNA in Nature in 1953. Although this day celebrates that monumental publication in 1953, it has only been properly observed since 2003 by the National Human Genome Research Institute, and has been acknowledged by several organisations world-wide


Happy DNA day!


No comments:

Post a Comment